On my radar

Hello everyone! Today I'm going to make a comment about the Snapshot section of The Guardian. Among all the snapshots I read about, Sophie Duker caught my attention. She is a comedian raised in London who appears in TV comedy. I like comedy, but I have to admit that stand-up doesn't often make me laugh. However, I'm going to watch Sophie's show later, she seems funny.

Sophie talked about a variety of cultural topics. She mentioned a bar she often visits in Amsterdam, her musical tastes, specifically how she loves to attend comedy musicals in London. And some activities she enjoys, like pole dancing, which is really cool. She also spoke about activism with her friends and more.

She showed some really interesting topics, but the one that caught my attention the most was the Barrio bar, especially because of the diversity of people who frequent it. Been queer, trans, and people of color. I really enjoy visiting spaces where I can relax with my friends, and I think I would feel comfortable there as part of the community.

And now, the most expected part: things on my cultural radar!!

1. Barrio Lastarria
Almost every day, when I leave the university, I walk with my friend Lukita in the direction of Plaza de Armas because he takes the bus there, and I take the metro to accompany him. The best part of the walk for me is when we go through Barrio Lastarria. I enjoy being in vibrant urban spaces, full of life and people. I also love looking at the shops, checking out the clothes people sell, and listening to the music played by street musicians. Barrio Lastarria is a really nice place for me, especially at night!


2. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
Saiki K is an anime on Netflix that I watch over and over again, hahaha. It’s about Saiki Kusuo, a really powerful psychic who wants to live a normal life but can’t because something always happens that forces him to use his powers. This comedy anime is so much fun to watch I fully recommend it!

3. Maye 
When it comes to music, I love romantic and relaxing tunes! Maye is a Venezuelan singer who has made her career in Florida, USA. She has songs like "Tú," a really romantic one that I loooove. She’s a beautiful person with a lot of talent and beautiful songs that, in my opinion, deserve more recognition. I’m waiting for an album!

4. Semantic Error
This is the novel I like the most. It's a Korean enemies to lovers story about two boys: Chu Sangwoo, a computer science student, and Jang Jaeyoung, a graphic designer. They are total opposites. I’m not going to spoil anything, but I just want to say that I love the characters' personalities, the chemistry between the couple, and how the story develops. It has five volumes, and I’ve read them all. There’s also an animation, a webtoon (my favorite adaptation because the art is so pretty), and a K-drama! I’m a real fan of this novel, so I have watched them all.

5. Cecilia Vicuña
Cecilia Vicuña is a Chilean artist who captivated me with her ephemeral art, the sensitivity she brings to her interventions, and her personal history. She was exiled during the dictatorship and made interventions protesting this horrifying period while studying art in London. Later, she built her career in the United States and gained a lot of recognition for her art. I had the fortune to see her exhibition at the Museo de Bellas Artes in 2023. My favorite piece is "Los Precarios," which was made with what Cecilia calls "basuritas," showing something ephemeral and beautiful using simple things.


Thank you for your attention! i’m expecting to read your "On my radar" topics, dear classmates!




Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

New York Webquest

A happy day in Happyland